Garage Band (iPad) Practice
Gentle Reminder 1: Purposes of the various song sections:
Gentle Reminder 2: You must finish your 1 instrument soundtrack before proceeding with this lesson!
Step 1: Familiarise yourself with the music track you've created.
Use your earphones
Ensure you are playing 'All Sections'
Slow down the tempo (speed) by at least 15.
Repeat a few times.
Focus on listening!
Step 2: Focus on the Verse.
Repeat the Intro and Verse, paying attention to the transition in between.
Try starting your lyrics before, on, or after the strong beat. Choose one.
Have a healthy relationship with the beat; not too close, not too far.
Avoid placing weak sounds on strong beats.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -
Once upon a time in a town called Salem
Strong Sound / Weak Sound
Step 3: Focus on the Pre - Chorus / Chorus.
Follow the same steps above, paying attention instead to the transition between the Verse, Pre - Chorus and Chorus.
Lyric Golden Guidelines
1) Write in Poem Format (Line by line, not one chunk)
2) Your Poems should be either 4 or 8 lines.
3) The end of each line should rhyme.
4) The number of syllables in each line should be about the same. (+-1)
5) Verse 1 and 2 should be very similar in terms of number of syllables per line and number of lines.
6) Chorus should be catchy and much less wordy than the Verses.
7) Your Lyrics should be as meaningful as possible. Try not to talk nonsense. Try to discuss issues/feelings/hobbies/interests that mean something to you.
Step 3a: Each line should be recited across 4 or 8 beats!
Start clapping in 3, 4, 6 or 8 beats, making sure to clap harder on the 1st beat of each line.
While you can decide the speed of your beats, you need to make sure you clap slow enough so that you can comfortably recite each line in the lyrics across the 3, 4, 6 or 8 beats.
Once you have decided the number and speed of your beats, you may proceed to next step!
Step 3b: Start trying to recite each lines in the lyrics with a certain rhythm, keeping in mind the beats you have chosen.
Once you are comfortable with the beats, start to recite each line in the lyrics across the beats, making sure there is a strong connection between your lyrics reciting and the beats. It should not sound like you are talking while music is playing in the background.
Get your partner to clap for you so you can focus on reciting the lyrics in timing.